Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Control System home project

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLTG

Mechanical
Feb 20, 2004
US
Guys,

I'm very new to this but very interested on control system design. Is there any do-it-your-self project that you can do at home, books, etc?

Thanks
SLTG

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Some of your control distributors have product literature that has theory and fundamental control system design in a reference area of the product literature.
Have you considered installing a basic security system in your home? It does not have to connect to the Police or anything it could just alarm and track when windows and doors were opened.
There are several control forums at this site. if you review some of these forums maybe some one has some reference material information.

Irob,

Great ideas!!, I guess that would be considered as home project. I don't want to just install though, I want to make one and install it. Any lead?

Thanks!
SLTG

Try they have some home automation devices.
If you want to try some developing I will shortly...haha
be trying to interface the X10 over power line to a mini webserver that you can browse to and turn on/off my fishpond lights, waterfall, feeder, pumps etc I am also going to get it to email me if there is power loss or other problems using a GSM modem. This is going to be the core module that I use: If you want more info just ask!

try radio shack. they have a lot of home projects for control. I would recommend using power line carriers to eliminated a lot of wiring.

The X10 products are very good. I have used these a few times and done a little interfacing with DL06 from Automation Direct. Total price was around $700 and I had lots of new toys to play (learn) with.

Bob

I picked up an AB SLC 500, 4 Slot Rack, that was going to be scrapped during an upgrade. I won a 5/03 processor on eBay (pretty cheap); replaced the old 5/01.
I prefer the AB SLC because they are easy to work with, the control systems that I service run them, and I learned them in school.
I frequently visit for technical info related to the AB products that I am using. The manuals contain instruction sets, communication protocols, and other technical info.

I also visit forums like these to get new ideas and help when I'm stumped.

Per the previous replies - You can purchase inexpensive PLC's through Automation Direct. The book "Home Automation Basics" is a good tool too. I couldn't get his "home made" VB drivers to work properly though...

Any way, it's a fun job and hobby!
Good Luck! [thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back