Control Valve Project Documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

sentrifice

Mechanical
Apr 5, 2023
US
Hi All,

I am trying to put together project documents for the control valves on a process piping project. The design will be issued to a number of contractors to bid on. I am trying to understand where the design responsibility is split between engineer and contractor for control valves, and what that looks like for the project documents.

My understanding is that the design package (which will be issued to the bidders) should have 2 things: a valve list which will list all the valves, and valve data sheets which will have the technical specs of the control valves (example shown below).

[URL unfurl="true"]https://res.cloudinary.com/engineering-com/image/upload/v1727128903/tips/1593242429_rgpvxn.webp[/url]

However, the datasheets seem to have a mix of information that the engineer needs to specify (like pressures and flows), and information that is up to the control valve vendor/contractor to provide (like manufacturer, flow coefficient,...).

So do engineers provide half completed datasheets that are then completed by the control valve vendor?

Thanks for any input.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks LittleInch and Snickster.

Those BP specs are a very good reference, I'll save them.

Are these control valve datasheets typically filled out for on/off actuated valves? Or just for true control valves.

I don't totally recall but I'm pretty sure I remember that any valve with an actuator of any sort is under the responsibility of the Instrumentation Engineers and so they will prepare a data sheet for the combination valve with actuator since a controls valve supplier will still need to furnish the valve with actuator as a complete package, and they will need to know just about the same data to put together the combination. Of course sometimes the Mechanical Engineer on small projects might be responsible for the control valve data sheet.

Snickster,

That makes sense, for an on-off type there would just be a few sections that would be marked as N/A such as the positioner section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back