Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Control Valve two-phase flow with PRODE software

Status
Not open for further replies.

drilling53

Petroleum
Feb 8, 2011
CA
do you have experience with HNE model available in Prode Software when applied to control valves (two phase flow) ?
I have some cases where the usual ISA formulations seem to produce unreliable results (revamp of existing plant) I have data sheets and drawings but valve manufacturer is no longer active.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

when sizing for two phase flow you can expect higher errors,
don't know the very last ISA edition but, according my knowledge, ISA formulations are not reliable for two phase flow,
when possible I ask manufaturer to provide calc's,
anyway there are a few methods as HNE-DS which may be applicable (it depends for specific application), see this paper
"Sizing of nozzles, venturis, orifices, control and safety valves for initially sub-cooled gas/liquid two-phase flow – The HNE-DS method by J. Schmid"

Prode Properties base includes HNE method, similar to HNE-DS, which I have utilized mainly for PSV (in some cases more accurate compared to HEM),
the HNE-DS is available in extended version,
you may contact Prode to obtain the HNE-DS and the Excel page for solving your problem (the page is different from that included in dsitribution and suitable for PSV, it works for control valves).

Rense,
I agree that for specific applications one should ask the manufacturer but, as said, I cant' get support and I need to verify a few cases for two phases flow,
thank you for your suggestion to get the Excel page for control valves from Prode
(I didn't know there was a specific application)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back