Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

controll switch for solenoid valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

themroc

Chemical
Sep 7, 2006
GB
A stupid Question for a electrical engineer, but it comes from a chemical engineer.
I intend to switch a solenoid valve on/off. To do this I have got a data aquisition module here I can trigger 0 or 10 Volts output.

The solenoid valve I have got is switched by a 24Volt signal
(0 vot closed / 24Volt open).

I have got a 24 Volt power supply connecting this directly would mean the valve is always open. What I am looking for is a switch whichj is triggered by my 0 to 10 Volt data aquisition, so 0 Volt means 0 Volt supply closed valve and 10 Volt means switch open and 24 Volt supply.

I am just looking for the name of such a switch and mybe some suppliers preferably in the UK.
;)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks,
I was told that I should go for a solid state relay in order to avoid backcurrent???
What is the principle of both relay types??

You need a relay which will switch a DC load . The one you linked to is designed for an AC load only. Try this one instead:

You should consider using a diode to protect the solid state relay output from the inductive load of the solenoid.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Thanks scottyUK, that sounds good.
Where exactly do I connect the diode to. I presume I will have a plus and minus on the relay load output to my solenoid, do I have to connect the diode inbetween the plus connection or does it not matter.
What kind of Diode specification do I need?
(I just remember having heard somethin about dioded dates back to my school years!!!)
:)

Good point jraef - we don't know what type the solenoid is! 24V AC is pretty unusual in the UK, and I guessed the OP was from the UK from the link he posted. I should not assume: we all know what that makes.

image.php

Since the valve is 24V DC you can not use the SSR you pictured. They make the same thing in a DC version. Any 1A 50V or higher diode can be used as a snubber parallel with the relay. The banded side goes to the positive supply.

You could get away with just using a 24V AC transformer instead of having to buy a 24V DC power supply. Just use a 1A 100V or higher diode bridge. Connect the + & - leads to the valve. The AC leads go to the SSR and transformer. With this setup you can use the AC SSR that was pictured.

Thanks OperaHouse, good recommendatyion but we have got already the 24VDC power supply.
Just one Question you say the diode has to go in parallel. Just to claryfy. I would connect the + from my DC Power supply to the + of the SS relay and than to the + of the solenoid valve and I presume the minus of the DC Power supply directly to the minus of the solenoid valve.
Then by introducing the Diode I would again connect the + of my DC Power supply + of the SS relay than and this would be different I would connect the banded side to the positive connection of the SS relay and the other side of the Diode goes to the positive (+) of the Solid state relay.
Is that correct (sorry for the simple Question).
Thanks in advance

Hi Opera,

Have a look at the link in my last post: 6A @ 100V DC from the same range as themroc originally chose. More than adequate.

themroc,

The diode should be connected across the solenoid coil with the cathode - the end with the white line or coloured band - connected to the most positive end of the coil. That diode would do fine although a 1N4001 would be just as effective and a little cheaper.

image.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back