ControLogix and Multilin SR469 Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioAviator

Electrical
Sep 8, 2003
US
Hello All,

We are in the process of designing a new facility where we will use an Allen-Bradley ControLogix PLC in the control system and also use a Multilin SR469 motor management relay. The ControLogix can communicate via Ethernet I/P and other protocols. The Multilin 469 can communicate via Ethernet Modbus TCP, DeviceNet, Modbus RTU, and DNP 3.

My question is... Can the ControLogix PLC processor communicate directly to the Multilin SR469 via Ethernet? If so, is it through messaging commands or what?

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with these two devices communicating with each other and can advise the best communications approach?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello OhioAviator,

You've got lots of options, but they will each probably involve adding a specialty module to your ControlLogix rack.

Have a look at
I think they'll have a module for just about any the protocols available on your Multilin. The only module I can personally endorse is the MVI56-MCMR, which is a Modbus serial master/slave for a remote ControlLogix rack. It's configured via a text file that you upload into the module using a terminal program. Some supporting ladder logic is also required to control the mapping/multiplexing of data into arrays in your CPU.

If you can put the module in the CPU's rack, the MVI56-MCM looks a bit simpler to implement.

Cincinnati Belting and Transmission is a Prosoft distributor here in our area. (I work for a system integrator in Cincinnati.)

Good Luck.

John

Thank you, jwmccoype and dpc for your replies. I think we've settled on getting a Multilin SR469 relay with DeviceNet built in to talk to the ControLogix PLC and we'll use a Modbus-Ethernet protocol converter to remotely access the relay for programming, monitoring, etc.

Again, thanks for your input.

--John R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back