Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convection - Best Books

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I would like to ask your opinion on best books to analyse convection - forced and free - on plates vertical and horizontal, between two plates, and the effects of extended surfaces of various shapes on these plates.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions
Regards,

Cdvk

cdvk, Try the "Handbook of Heat Transfer Applications", W.M. Rohsenow,J.P.Hartnett,E.N.Ganic, McGraw Hill Publishing,
ISBN 0-07-053553-1.

Hope this helps.
saxon

Thanks, it sure does help

The closest I could find on the McGraw-Hill Website is the following:

Handbook of Heat Transfer
Author(s): Warren Rohsenow James Hartnett Young Cho
ISBN: 0070535558
DOI: 10.1036/0070535558
Format: Hardcover, 750 illus. , 1344 pages.
Pub date: May 1, 1998
Copyright: 1998
$150.00 US
Product Line: McGraw-Hill Professional
Related Titles by Category:
• Technology & Engineering -- Engineering / Mechanical
• Science -- Mechanics / Dynamics / Thermodynamics

new revision perhaps?

Any other suggestions?

Cdvk

Here are a couple more suggestions:

Handbook of Applied Thermal Design, edited by Guyer
Taylor & Francis publishing
The old and the new versions of the book are the same (I've heard), which means the material is relatively old, but the correlations are probably as good as they get. Look in Chapter 1.

Design and Analysis of Heat Sinks, by Kraus & Bar-Cohen
J. Wiley
The most useful stuff is in Chapter 10, I think. There is a section on optimum fin spacing in natural convection that I've used a lot. There is a lot of material on analyzing reindeer-antler-style shapes which I have never gotten into. For most complicated shapes, I tend to go right to conjugate CFD instead of trying to re-learn matrix inversion.

Also consider the material in the classic reference by Kays, "Compact Heat Exchangers" (sorry, I don't own a copy of that one) Again, this book is quite old, but no sense reinventing the wheel.

Finally, my old standby heat transfer textbook has some pretty good basics: Heat and Mass Transfer, Frank M. White
Addison-Wesley

There is also a lot of reference material on this subject on and

I hope you are also considering the pressure drop of the extended surfaces -- I have seen way too many claims of much-enhanced heat transfer, only to find that the pressure drop is also enhanced, with the result that there is insufficient air moving through the fin area. But maybe you're not planning to use air??

Cathy Biber

Biber Thermal Design

Thank you for all your suggestions cbiber, I will look into these.

Yes, it is air, and yes, I will be considering the extra pressure drop that they cause. I have been alloted a maximum pressure drop and believe we will be testing with software Fluent. But thanks for the reminder!

Any other suggestions ?

You could try
"Heat Transfer"; 7th ed ; J.P. Holman; McGraw-Hill; 1990
(I think it's on 8th ed now!)
I have found this to be an excellent reference
Regards

Thank you Teng22 - that is actually the one I have!

Thanks everyone for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back