Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convective Heat Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ysg519

Mechanical
Sep 1, 2007
US
I am setting up a convective heat transfer interaction in abaqus. My model has a flat Alumina surface at a certain temperature (greater than ambient temp) exposed to atmosphere. I am not sure as to
1. what value to input for the Film Coeffecient (Flat Alumina surface)
2. What expression should I use in the Expression Field. Is this expression merely the direction in which the convection takes place? Please help. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have come across the convective heat transfer coeff value for air as between 10 - 100 (W/m2K) . That range seems like a big range any ideas as to how to narrow down that range?

There are simplified expression for natural convection to air from vertical and horizontal surfaces but these are related to the delta T to the power 0.25 or 0.333. It's better if you can put these temperature dependent values in as a table rather than as a subroutine, but either way is acceptable. For horizontal plates facing upwards the expression is h=0.38 x delta T^0.25 (see McAdams)

corus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back