Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convergance Issues in Thermal Stress Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

grnlan03

Mechanical
Feb 1, 2010
US
I am having some trouble getting my fully coupled thermal stress model to converge with higher density meshes. I have lowered the increment size in the past to get it converge but now I get this error related to heat flux.

There is zero HEAT FLUX everywhere in the model based on the default criterion. please check the value of the average HEAT FLUX during the current iteration to verify that the HEAT FLUX is small enough to be treated as zero. if not, please use the solution controls to reset the criterion for zero HEAT FLUX.

I guess my problem is that I don’t understand exactly what the increment size is and I was wondering if someone could give me some direction.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your problem probably lies somewhere else. If you have zero heat flux then you may be using the wrong element/haven't applied thermal boundary conditions/have a ridiculously small time step. In the latter case, if your loads are ramped up then any thermal loads you applied may be too small to notice. Convergence of a problem may be due to other factors, such as in the case of contact etc.

Hoping to say Tata

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back