Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convergence Issues - Shell Assembly w/contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryano123

Mechanical
Aug 26, 2010
US
I am having some interesting results for the convergence of stresses in an assembly modeled with shell elements.

Roughly speaking, the model is constructed as follows:
The model has a remote load applied to one component. Both bonded and no penetration contacts are used to link individual components. The model is fully constrained with the combination of component contacts and a fixed support applied to a face of one of the components.

The convergence results are interesting for two reasons:

1. Stresses seem to decrease as mesh size is increased.

2. Some oscillation in stress is evident as mesh size is increased.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this response?

Convergence Data is attached.

Thanks,
Ryano123

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Noticed an error in the spread sheet...

The % element/node differnece is actually showing the change in element stress between runs. The actual data is:

Study % element/node difference
1 3
2 1
3 1
4 1
5 0

When you model contact it is very easy to create singularities. Singularities occur when the sharp edge of one component comes into contact with another component face. The tip off is that as you decrease the mesh size the stresses go up. This is because, at a singularity, the stress is infinite so reducing the mesh size better captures the infinite stress.

You may need to round sharp edges to help get rid of this or play with the spring constants on the contact elements.

CSWP, BSSE

"Node news is good news."

Sorry for the confusion, my FEA vocabulary is still developing. I should have said for increased mesh density, i.e. smaller elements, stresses decrease.

In the attached spreadsheet I show von Mises stress probed from a point on the end of a strategically placed split line. I get the same shaped curves when I compare strain energy density between studies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back