Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convergence problem - help needed urgent pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

aero12345

Aerospace
Mar 25, 2009
GB
Hi every one,

I have to do damage modelling for a complex composite material, so just to check if it's going to work in ANSYS
I modelled a simple curved geometry of two curved materials (of similar properties or different), meshed with solid185 elements and seperated by interface elements.
But here I have problem with convergence just before reaching maximum normal stress of interface elements (INTER205). I tried with different element formulations also but still have this convergence problem. Please note that I am not looking for accuracy in this case and so the model is not meshed fine at the curves (does it affect the conrgence?).
Please help me find where I am going wrong, this is very important for my work.
I am attaching the input file for this problem for your understanding, please try this.

Thanks a lot for your inputs,
Vinston

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as I know it affects the accuracy of the results but does it give convergence problem because of the coarse mesh? Do you mean to say that my model would converge if I have more finer mesh. Please some one let me know whats wrong with my approach and why the above model is not converging.

Thanks for your time,
Vinston

According to my knowledge, yes a finer mesh might help it to converge. But I'm saying this in general, it might / might not work in your case. You can always try..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back