Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convergent/divergent nozzle

Status
Not open for further replies.

hvychvy81

Automotive
May 6, 2006
Hello all... I was curous if anyone thought that it might be possible to use a convergent/divergent nozzle on the intake of a car. Maybe as a type of natural forced induction. I'm pretty new to this, so if anybody has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks, stephen

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most racing engines that are naturally aspirated use some method of locating there air intake in such a fashion as to take advantge of the higher pressure available while the vehicle is in motion. (unless rules restricted not to do so). Take a look under the hood of a Nextel cup car or the hood scoop of a NHRA pro stock and you'll get the idea.-------Phil

Ok... I understand the principle behind ram air. Not what i'm going for. If the air entering the nozzle is subsonic, then passes through the nozzle and becomes supersonic... could you feed this supersonic air into the motor... Like i said, a type of natural forced induction...

A convergent/divergent nozzle is capable of producing supersonic flow, but that is not what you want in an air intake. You want maiximum pressure. Energy is required for compression and energy in lost in any nozzle.

But you could use a convergent/divergent nozzle in the exhaust tip and point it at your competitor's car so that his engine sucks in your exhaust. Pole position!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back