Conversion Between EER, SEER, IEER 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoMeche

Mechanical
Nov 9, 2010
US
Hi All,

I'm seeking a method for converting between EER, SEER, & IEER. I require this information each time I file drawings and have grown tired of waiting for Sales Engineers to get back me with these numbers.

Any information will help.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The problem "converting" between EER and SEER is that they don't measure the exact same thing. It's not like measuring a heat loss and converting between BTU/hr and kW.

As you probably know, EER is an efficiency rating measuring cooling in BTU/hr compared to electrical energy input in kW. It is calculated based on one single set of conditions for the indoor and the outdoor space.

SEER numbers are based on a range of outdoor air temperatures to try and predict the ratio of cooling to input power annually.

Because of this it isn't always a linear relationship and different climates begin to throw off any empirical relationships between EER and SEER. The US DOE has provided this acceptable correlation however: EER = –0.02 × SEER² + 1.12 × SEER

Just note that this is really only a quick and dirty correlation.

PS, a followup to the post I just made. I realized I didn't address IEER.

Essentially you have the same problem "converting" between IEER and EER as you do EER and SEER. They don't measure the same thing Because IEER is a weighted average, you need the EER rating at 4 different load points (which you don't always have) to calculate IEER. If you DO have the EER at 100%, 75%, 50%, and 25% full cooling capacity, the IEER can be calculated by:

IEER = (0.020 * A) + (0.617 * B) + (0.238 * C) + (0.125 * D)

Where:
A = EER at 100% net capacity at AHRI standard rating conditions
B = EER at 75% net capacity and reduced ambient (81.5oF for air-cooled)
C = EER at 50% net capacity and reduced ambient (68oF for air-cooled)
D = EER at 25% net capacity and reduced ambient (65oF for air-cooled)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back