Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Conversion from Cadkey DOS to Cadkey Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aton

Civil/Environmental
Mar 1, 2002
CA
I started out with Cadkey Light, ver. 1.5 (DOS-based)- a very long time ago, in software time. In '99 I purchased a Windows-based version, Cadkey-98, which I use now. Trouble is, the newer version cannot read any of my .prt files that I had drawn in ver. 1.5. Cadkey Support couldn't seem to help, for they feel that my old version is so antique as to not be even on their radar screens - and anyway, the company has changed hands since the early days, and I guess no longer feels the need to worry about such things. Probably if I had had some intermediate versions of Cadkey, I could have continued to read and save. But I probably waited too long to purchase a newer version. Compound that with the problems my newer Windows has of operating in the Cadkey DOS environment (it can't), so I have difficulty in operating ver 1.5 itself now, except on my cob-web encrusted 486. Sigh.

Has anyone come across this problem? Any ideas? Sustainable, Solar, Environmental, and Structural Engineering: Appropriate technologies for a planet in stress.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
I was just about to direct you to but it doesnt seem to be working.

Fortunately I still have copies of the conversion utilities previously available as free downloads on the above site.

These utilities will convert any old version .prt files for use with Cadkey 97, 98, 19 etc.

Contact me direct and i will email them to you.

Regards

Padlofski
composites@btinternet.com

Thanks, Padlofski. I had gone into the Cadkey site a while ago, and it seems that they had long since removed the downloads that I need.

e-mailing you now...

-Aton Sustainable, Solar, Environmental, and Structural Engineering: Appropriate technologies for a planet in stress.

While it may seem that old familiar single version-to-version upgrade routines are missing from the CK site, you get them all here.

The beauty of this routine is that it will act on all PRT files, or not, depending on what updates need to be performed. Once the file is CK5 compatible it will open in any CADKEY version from CK5 through CK19 and also in the newer CK20, though that version can't save a PRT file.

bv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back