Conversion of Ra to Rz surface roughness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madhu454

Mechanical
May 13, 2011
IN
Hi,
Is there any thumb rule or acceptable guidelines to convert Ra surface roughness values to Rz surface roughness values?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is no formal or accurate conversion as they are measuring two different characteristics. However, as a rule of thumb, I've seen factors of 8 to 10 used (multiply Ra by 8 or 10 to get Rz).

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

You need to get the standard out and read the definitions. I have seen the ratio between them as low as 5 and as high as 20. They are two very different characteristics.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Hello,

what I propose (& do it myself all the time) is to look at this from the manufacturing, i.e. specific machine and machining p.o.v.
In the / some appropriate handbook there shall / should be tables alike this one:
mach_pnip10.png

which makes it possible to converse roughness values, at least for standard purposes (~ I'm located in heavy to medium mechanical manufacturing).
Additional hint: for every machining process the usual equipment is characterized by a certain achievable surface quality range. The range itself is defined by e.g. speed of machining, quality of tools,..
Ultimately, your request is a good incentive to talk to (your) workshop people ;-)
Regards

Roland Heilmann
Lpz FRG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back