Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Convert assy model to dumb solid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runz

Aerospace
Oct 3, 2005
US
Again, I am new to Catia, but am being thrown into the fire. I have an assy model that I need to send to a customer. We do not want to send them a feature based or component based model, which could be used to gather dimensional info (Its called a shrinkwrap model in Pro/E).
Is there a way to do this within Catia?

Also, we use our forging/casting models to create machined parts. We were instructed in class to do this by cut & paste (result with link). Is this the best way? Can an assembly be done the same way (I can't get it to work)?

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can save your files as a .CGR, which will leave you with nothing but a pretty picture. For an assembly, you would just save the whole thing like this, or rebuild the assembly with .CGR files, if need be.

As for forging/casting models - yes, the result with link is a VERY good way, if not the recommended practice. For machined parts from castings, this is great, because minor modifications in the casting do not require you to touch the machined part. (unless machining changes) It also allows simultaneous multiple model updates, when based off of the same casting. The advantage also comes in being able to keep 1 casting configuration stored in one place, regardless of where the machining configuration(s) reside. (when using a PDM, and multiple product lines)

Check out CATBlog!

Generate CATPart from Product will result in your getting a group of isolated solids (no history). They will, however, still be dimensionally exact. If your concern is hiding the dimensionally exact form, I believe that there are some tools in the DMU Optimizer Workbench that can allow you to do things like this (I don't know for sure, however, as I have never used it).

I think the implication might have been that the part could be saved first as a CATPart, and this would be easier to save as a .CGR.

I could be wrong, but this seems like it might be a good way to achieve the intent of the original post.

Check out CATBlog!

And so they can...

Could I have mistaken .cgr for .cgm?

While working for a certain company, I used to get .cgr files all of the time. I could not ever do anything with them, other than put them in a CATProduct. They were non-measureable, non-constrainable, etc. I always assumed that all files of the same typed worked like this, but having just saved a .cgr in Catia, I see that this is not the case. (not a typical file format for me)

I guess now I'm waiting to see what the answer is.

Thanks for pointing that out, Ekmedzic.

Check out CATBlog!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back