convert catia model to igs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ken1

Mechanical
Dec 11, 2002
US
i am running catia v5 r16

i want to translate/convert a .model file to an .igs file.

"save as" is greyed out.....can't find import/export....help is no help.

i am a catia newbie.....any guidance will be appreciated.

thanks,
ken

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Otherwise, open the .model, copy/paste everything in it into a new CATPart, then saveas the catpart into an .igs file.
Word of caution, copying things like this can eventually lead to loss of detail, some things don't get properly switched from .model to .catpart

regards,

luis

"insert into new catproduct" - it did not let me insert an existing model into a new catproduct

"copy/paste into new catpart" - error = paste not allowed
(i tried paste & paste special)

Why is this so difficult?....i have a seat of catia....i have a model file....shouldn't i be able to translate/convert this file?

What is a model file? Do I need to request a different file or other information?

as always.....thanks in advance,
ken

.model is the file extension for V4 files, and it should copy/paste, but it depends on what you are copying it into. Try right clicking on the white page with the yellow gear icon, the head of your tree, and do a paste special, result without link.

when i right click on white page/yellow gear.......a paste special box appears.....i can't do anything with the box though. (i can't add anything)

Hi

Which platform are you using? P1? P2? P3?

Maybe its better to take a look here to see something about CATIA configurations
You can also try this: without having something opened (no CATPart, no CATproduct, no nothing) just drag & drop your model file into CATIA window and see if you can save it in other format...CATpart or CATProduct and then try as igs....if you can not open the file that means maybe its something wrong with your installation or you don't have necessary license (I don't know if P1 have the igs converter license).

Regards
Fernando

ver5 rel 16 P1

I can open model file......i just can't save it as another format.

I dragged file into Catia........same result....model opens up but i can't save/convert to different format.

i looked thru the 205-0-01.pdf.....it did not discuss model to "other format".

i searched for other catia titles on the site but found none to help my situation.

ken

For what its worth, I've had no trouble copy/pasting the model geometry from a .model file into an empty v5 part. I select the entire tree in the .model and copy, then select the top-most item in the new part and paste special, as result.

I can usually copy/past a drawing format from a .model file into an empty v5 drawing as well.

Occasionally I've had Catia not let me copy/paste, but it was always fixed by closing and restarting the catia session.

-Jay

When we get .model files, there are actually 2 files we get. The file that contains all the Tabs at the top like in your picture is only good for the 2D stuff. In it the 'MASTER' page is usually blank, and the 'DRAFT' page has the 2D stuff in it. Maybe 20MB big.

The other file (with almost the exact same filename) we get usually only has 2 Tabs at the top...'DRAFT', which is usually blank...and 'MASTER' which has the 3D model in there. Usually at least 70MB big. This 2nd file is the only one that I can insert into some other .CATProduct file so that I can then SaveAs STEP.

I don't know if this will be the same for you (I have very limited V4 experience), but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Ken

I think this is what's happening to ken1, If I remember correctly, V4 could treat everything mixed together, so you have to be careful and open a file that has geometry in it, otherwise, you cannot copy the master as it is empty..

Thing is that you probably have a file that only has drawings and no geometry. Try and do this, double click on you *master, if it opens then you have the correct file, if nothing comes out, you probably have a drawing file. You can also check the size of the file, when you have geometry in it the files are normally bigger than 65 mbs, if it's smaller then you have to ask for the geometry file.

A .model file is from CATIA V4 or prior.

From within your .CATProduct, you should be able to insert your .model by selecting it from the file browing window.

Of course, you should be able to r-click the MASTER when you have the .model open in V5 and paste it into a part, too.

Hi,

From what I see in your picture, all solutions presented already should work for you (of course you can do what weavedreamer said, just search in the tree for SUR* or SOL* and copy-paste in a new CATPart in PartBody what you want....).

I'm very curios if you tried to do same thing on other workstation...or you can ask somebody else to do it and see what others will tell you....

Regards
Fernando

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back