Convert Facet (sheet) to a surface: NX 8.5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pratyu

Aerospace
Oct 25, 2012
US
Hi all.
I know there's been a lot of discussion going on about the conversion of facet to surface, I was just hoping that someone has come up with a novel solution recently.
Hence, the question: Is there a way we can directly convert a faceted sheet to a surface in NX 8.5?

P.S: I have used Fit surface > Freeform but the resulting surface doesn't fit well over the faceted body.
Also, I have used Curve from bodies > Section, Mesh Surface > Ruled & "sew"n the surfaces. It is quite tedious.

Any other solution other than the above two, will be my savior.

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Too bad you're not using NX 9.0 as we've enhanced the 'Rough Offset' to include using a Facet Body as the Reference Surface. It works fairly well for open shapes, as seen below (the Orange object is the original Faceted body while the Yellow object is the Sheet body created using Rough Offset with an offset distance of 0.00):

Facet_to_Sheet_using_Rough_Offset_vcllfj.png

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Question on the Rough Offset function when it comes to Facet overlays.
When I use the function it appears to square off the outer limits of the faceted surface no matter what I use for the settings.
Similar to the face image you have above. If the sides of the object where irregular it would extend them as a square shape.
Is there a way for the rough offset to use the facets as the outer limit and not extend them into a square outline?
Thanks!

If your surface is muxh complex.

Use snip surface command .. Cut the facet into multiple facet and fit surface on it.

Suyog Patil
CAD Enginer
NX 7.5. 8, 8.5 9, 10 TC-9

So that squaring affect where the fit up of the surface to the facets is caused when the facet geometry is too complex?
I was trying it on simpler shapes but was still getting that affect each time. Wasn't sure what I might be doing wrong with the function.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back