Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert from Assembly to Solid part

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I tried that but the Cosmos express sees it as a multitude of Parts and asks you to pick one of them. I was looking to see if there was a way to make is seam as one solid part without the multitude of parts embedded in it.

I would be extremely careful with this method because you really can take into account the boundry conditions between parts. I personally wouldn't believe the results of your FEA done this way.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

There are two ways:
1)Save assembly as part, select all components, open that part and add combine feature to form part with one solid body.
2)Insert new part into assembly, edit part incontext insert join feature, check force surface contact, and select components.

There are two ways:
1)Save assembly as part, select all components, open that part and add combine feature to form part with one solid body.
2)Insert new part into assembly, edit part incontext insert join feature, check force surface contact, and select components.

Very similar, but the second solution creates a single body part automatically (by choosing force surface contact), and the resulting part contained with in original assembly.

I have not used Cosmosworks but I have successfully exported the assembly as a parasolid and then imported it into an FEA program (such as Ansys).

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back