convert Mathcad prime files to mathcad 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdano

Civil/Environmental
Dec 9, 2013
FR
Hello,

I'm trying to open files made on mathcad 2.0 prime with mathcad 14 or the other way around but i can't manage to do it... On the internet they say to click on an icon in mathcad prime with convertor from xmcd and mcd. but mine is blank and i can't click on it...

Does someone know how to do it? it's kinda urgent...

thanks for the answers!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sadly, it's a one way street, which EVERYONE at PTC is aware of, but unwilling to correct.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

BTW, the "converter" is a one-way street to MPx, but requires M15 to run.

I know, it's stooopid.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

As IRstuff already wrote you seem to have bad luck.
1) There is no way to convert files from Prime format to Mathcad 14 or 15 format
2) You can convert Mathcad 14/15 files to Prime format, but you need a full fledged current mathcad 15 installation running to be able to do so.

So what are your options:
- Work on Prime files with Mathcad 14 - no way!
- Edit MC14 files in PRime, yes. But be careful. You may download the 30day trial of Mathcad 15 and install it, but it will uninstall your Mathcad 14. So save your license file to be up and running when after the trial period of MC15 is over you have to reinstall your licensed version 14.
- If there are only a handful of files to convert and they contain no protected or sensible data, you may consider asking people here or in the main Mathcad forum [URL unfurl="true"]http://communities.ptc.com/community/mathcad[/url] if they can do that for you. Please state clearly that you need it for Prime2! Reason is that while Prime2 and Prime3 can coexist the installation of Prime3 kills the Prime2 converter. So people like me who have installed Prime3 are not able to convert files to Prime2 format. Ah yes, and PTC in their endless wisdom has decided that there should be no way to convert Prime3 files in Prime2 format.
Furthermore you should be aware that while you may be able to convert a file from MC14 to Prime2 this does not mean it does what it should under Prime2. It depends what features are used in the worksheet but from my experience i can say that 75% or more of my worksheets won't work under Prime (2 or 3 a like). Some can be made to work by manually editing and workarounds, but most won't. Prime is still a work in progress and by no means can live up to Mathcad 15 (or 14). There are some minor improvements (units in arrays and odesolveblocks, matrix editing) but Prime is still missing a lot of features we are used to and used in our sheets so only very basic sheets will convert without problems.

May I ask why you want to use Prime (2 or 3) at all? I think you can be happy with MC14 for quite a while. Apart from some bugs and quirks which are fixed in MC 15 its still a more powerful, quicker and easier to use version compared with Prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back