Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Mathcad Prime - subscript . and unit font 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Structural
Mar 7, 2007
US
I was a big Mathcad user for years, but went another direction in about 2016. I'm revisiting the possibility of using it again and have been playing with a Prime 6.0.0.0 version.

I've run into two irritants right off the bat. I've spent about 20 minutes trying to figure these out, so it seems like time to ask...

Did they eliminate the ability to use a . to define a subscript? Not an array index, but a regular dead subscript.

Is there a way to change the units font? I've never seen bold, blue, italic used in technical writing, so it looks terrible to me.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Samir,
Thank you for signing up to Eng-Tips and engaging with users.

I eventually did make some progress with Maple Flow and it looks like the kind of tool that can develop in the way I would use in the future.
Getting switched over would be a lot like switching over from MathCAD to SMath that I did 5 years ago. A little inconvenient but not an obstacle.
I also contacted Maple directly for a demo/walkthrough which helped me get over some learning humps I had.

If the migration tool reaches the point that former users of MathCAD can access their old worksheets and move forward with MF, I think you'd score a lot of new users. For comparison, every time I tried MC Prime's file conversion tool to import my old MathCAD files, it failed miserably. That (and of course the price) was a major factor in my reluctance to adopt Prime. I've remained at MC13 ever since.

@samirhyatkhan. I will try the trial versions. I have over 800 Mathcad worksheets. I have been using Mathcad since version 3. It is the devil I know. I am retired now. The problem is that no one where I used to work wants to get into the math so I don't know how useful it will be. At this time I keep Mathcad 13 alive on WINXP virtual systems. I have tried Mathematica. It could only solve about 1/3 of the problems that Mathcad couldn't. One of the most difficult problems I had I actually ended up using Mathcad and hahd simplifying. It took awhile but in the end the solution was relatively simple but neither Mathcad nor Mathematica could simplify the problem enough to make the solution simple. I am skeptical. Nothing seems to beat human optimization if you know how.

Peter Nachtwey
Delta Motion
IFPS Hall of Fame Member

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back