Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert Nm3 to Std Ideal Liq Vol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard_V

Mechanical
Aug 15, 2016
GB
I would like to convert a 500 Nm3/h HF flow to std m3/h using Hysys.

Can anyone tell me how to enter this in a Hysys stream?

I thought about filling in a molar flow under "Conditions" and adjust untill I find the right value under "Properties" but Nm3/h is not listed there:

URL]

Thanks for your help.

Richard

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

the question is not clear, std. ideal liq. volumes or std. volumes ?
I assume you wish to convert from (gas) normal conditions to std, correct ?
why do you think to use a simulator for a problem which can be easily solved by hand (or in Excel) with a simple conversion factor (normal volumes = R*T(0 C)/P(atm) to std volume = R*T(15.5 C)/P(atm)) ?
If (for example with hydrocarbons, above critical point) you wish to add compressibility then use the software to calculate volumes, I use Prode Properties but any software is good for that,
take care that definitions for normal and std. conditions may change in different countries.
Of course, you can apply a similar procedure for liquids (calculating volumes at different operating conditions).
Finally, to estimate the amount of condensate (liquid phase) simply solve a flash operation at some specified conditions.

Hi Marc,

I would like to convert gas flow (Nm3/h) to std. ideal liq. volumes (m3/h)
I think 20degC is used as standard conditions here.

I am not sure to understand the point,
for mixtures you cannot convert liquid to gas (evaporation) or gas to liquid (condensation) without setting different operating conditions,
see my previous post, for example given the equilibrium temperature, 20 C according your last post, you can solve a flash operation (bubble point pressure) to estimate the (minimum) pressure where you have only liquid, then calculate liquid volume, note that light components can require very high pressures to condensate,
anyway, I solve similar problems in Excel (with Prode Properties) but of course any software should give similar options.

The documentation that may have accompanied your copy of the HYSYS software from the vendor has a detailed discussion in one of its chapter regarding the various types of volumes and volumetric flow rates used by HYSYS in ite simulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back