Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Convert Very Large STL file into Solid Body in SolidWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDGroup

Mechanical
May 22, 2007
US
I have a very large stl file (about 150MB / 1 million faces) that I need to open up in SolidWorks as a solid body to be able to manipulate and export as a STEP file.

If I try to open it directly in SolidWorks, it says there are too many faces. It can only open it as a graphic image, but not as a solid body. It looks like the limitation for trying to create a solid body is 20,000 faces.

I tried opening it another (free) program, and reduced the resolution of the stl so the face count is below the 20,000 threshold. As you can imagine the quality of the new file is extremely poor, and not acceptable.

Any suggestions on what I can try? Or any programs that can convert directly from an stl file to STEP?

I did a lot of searching online, and found a lot of suggestions, but nothing worked.

Thanks for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Which version of SW do you have? In 2018 and 2019 there is an addon called Scan to 3D, you can try using this, it handles much more faces than standard 20k. Another option is to use Geomagic for SolidWorks, it's paid, but it's possible to get a trial licence. The last solution I have in my mind is to use Rhino (30 day trial is avaiable) to save stl file in more SolidWorks friendly format.

I'm not very familiar with processing stl files, but all three mentioned ways has been used in my company. If you need more details let me know, I can always ask someone who is more familliar with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back