Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Converting 2D Text over to 3D Geometry for Sketch 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdpostak

Mechanical
Mar 2, 2017
US
Hello, I need help with this subject. I remember doing this about 6-7 years ago and now I am in need of doing again. Can anybody please help me out with the process of doing this? As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Richard D. Postak
Plastics Project Engineer
Toyota Motor Manufacturing Company - TMMK

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The generic steps are below.

Create the Text in Drafting workbench
Save the CATDrawing As DXF
Open DXF file
Copy geometry representing the Text
Switch to Part Document window
Create or modify a Sketch
Paste the Geometric Elements representing the text

--Doug

Hello,
or you can use this application:

[URL unfurl="true"]http://scripts4all.eu/txt2sketch/[/url]

Contrary to dxf export mentioned above, text produced by this application is smooth thanks to smoothing algorithm (tangential splines are joined into one spline).

If you use dxf export curves are flattened (replaced by polylines) and result is quite rough (too many edges).

Tesak
- Text along a curve for Catia V5

Tesak, do you run these applications inside of Catia, and if so then how?

Richard D. Postak

No, these applications are standalone .exe files running outside of CATIA. You just have to launch them and they should connect to your running CATIA instance (in case that you are running CATIA locally and not from remote server).

Tesak
- Text along a curve for Catia V5

This application can be ran on a Unix system, correct?

Richard D. Postak

Then that explains why I am unable to get that application to run. Again, thanks for all of your help!

Richard D. Postak

Does anyone know how to insert text radially? I am on a Unix system and not Windows.

Richard D. Postak

We've done the drawing to .ig2/igs conversion for a while but I found this company that has created a software add-on for V5 that takes care of all the parametric 3D text problems and now we will be using it for the forseeable future. Type3 is the company, look up Text in Catia as the video poster on youtube. It even has the capability of vectorizing and converting graphic images to curve data, used that function as well for custom branded parts.

Iscariot, no not on a cylinder. For example, take a look at a car tire and you can see how the raised letter on the tire are shown radially, this is what I am meaning.

Richard D. Postak

tesak, thanks for the information and you're probably right. At this time I only have Catia running on a Unix system.

Richard D. Postak

You need for the sketch the dxf file than can be generated with Catia Drafting (not radially) but also with other any vectorial drawing software as Inkscape. I would generate the text radially with Inkscape (free) and then save the output as dxf. Link
I would use the dxf to generate my sketch.

It could be done also in drafting but I suppose you should do letter by letter and align it as desired and then to save as dxf. It would take more time like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back