Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting a UG file 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopens

Mechanical
Mar 25, 2008
US
We currently run SolidWorks 2008 SP2.0, is there anyway to view a UG file with an extension of xxxx_dwg.prt? We can open the model with the extension .prt, but the drawing file has dimensions we need to see.

Thanks,

Kevin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did you try e-drawings or dwg viewer?
There are alot of free viewers on the web. I suggest you try some.
Also, maybe it works when you change the extension to, lets say, dwg or dxf (xxxx.dwg)

GL
Let me know how it goes

Regards
ZillionM

Zillion

I did try and change the ext to xxx.dwg, buth I get an error opening the file. The e-drawing viewer also gave me an error.My next step is to download a viewer.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin,

If there is a drawing within that UG.prt file,it should export like a 2D exchange to read or view in other programs.

I could help you,if you post the file.

Thanks

Zillion,

Our customer does not allow us to post the file. Thanks for the offer. When I open the .prt model in SolidWorks it shows the geometry as imported. The drawing file within the .prt file is probably there. I think the viewer is probably the next option.

Kevin

Just try to open it up in Solidworks and check both in the model space for the drawing, and on the document for the drawing. If scale is a very large number then the drawing will appear as very large or very small in the model space, so make sure you do a "fit" to make sure everything is showing up on the screew.
There may be a layer issue here (I am new at SolidWorks, and don't know much about its layers), just make sure all the layers are turned on.
The _dwg is a suffix added by the person who created the file. It really should not have an effect on how the file is translated.
In Unigraphics there is no differnce between model files, assemblies, and drawing files (like there is in SolidWorks). They are all looked at as the same thing by the software.
If you have a error when opening up the file please post it and I will try to help you from there.
If I remember correctly this topic has been brought up in the Unigraphics forum. You may want to post this question on there if it hasn't yet.

SW Help said:
The Unigraphics translator imports the Parasolid information of a Unigraphics® II part or assembly into a SolidWorks part or assembly document. Only the Parasolid information is extracted, not the proprietary feature information of a Unigraphics II part.

AFAIK, Parasolid data does not support 2D data.

I found a free viewer from Oracle, AutoVue is a viewer that opened the xxxx.dwg.prt and showed the model and the drawing view just like you see with UG.

Thanks for everyone's help.

NX has a common .prt suffix for all file types; part, drawing and assembly.

There are (at least) two ways to create a drawing in NX - the first way, which is not recommended practice, is to embed the drawing within the part file. This is done by switching to drafting mode and adding the format then the views.

The second, and recommended way, is what they call the 'master model' approach. Using this approach, the drawing is actually created as an assembly, and the components that appear in the drawing are 'assembled' to the drawing. The user then switches to drafting mode and adds views and annotations. The resulting model tree shows the drawing file at the top of the assembly, and the parts are below it as components.

It's a little strange to get used to. The advantage to their approach is that a part can become an assembly at any time just by adding a component to it. This is useful if you've made a model of a plate, created the drawing, and then later decide you need to add a pin to it. You would not need to create a new drawing in this case.

Don't know if this helps your problem, but it may shed some light on how they do drawings.

Ed

There are other advantages to using the master model approach, especially configuration control. The designer can maintain control over the model, allowing the drafter access for detailing the part but not the ability to change it.
Using the same model(s), one person can work on an assembly, while another can work on a component of the assembly, and yet another can work on an assembly drawing. Meanwhile someone else can be doing the CAM programming.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back