Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting DC motor and Drive to AC motor and drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ysn

Electrical
Jan 13, 2003
IN
How do I calculate the toruqe required and the HP required for a DC motor to be replaced with AC motor and Drive. the Dc motor is of 90hp, 1500 rpm drives an extruder.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ysn,
Three things determine the torque produced by an AC induction motor;
1= the strength of the magnetic field of the stator
2= the strength of the magnetic field of the rotor
3= the phase angle difference between rotor and stator fields.
There are several formulas for configuring the info you request, try your local electrical parts dealer for a copy of Uglys engineers pocket reference guides,inside you will find several formulas for conversion needs,also Delmars Textbooks are an excellent source for this info, hope this helps.
JB

Is the extruder started loaded or unloaded? What was the starting torque of the DC motor? 90X5250/1500=315ft/pds of torque running. Suppose you are using 50Hz., since the 1500RPM. Some DC motors have high starting torque, higher than their AC equivalents. Most Design B motors, according the MG-1 NEMA have a 150% locked rotor torque or better.

Hi Forkel,
thanks for the info, it goves me some idea, how i go about it, the extruder starts at no-load

Suggestion:
Torque in lb.-ft = 90HP x 5250 / 1500RPM = 315 lb-ft
Try Baldor motor:
75HP
460V
60Hz
332 lb-ft Full load torque
1160RPM
1.15 S.F.
1684M Type
16X92 Winding Number
ECP4404T-4 Catalog Number