Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

converting dwgs to pdfs using acrobat writer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juice

Civil/Environmental
Aug 16, 2001
US
Hey everyone,

I just got Acrobat writer 3.0 on my computer, so i convert dwg. files to pdf. files. Now can someone me in right direction. Am i suppose to export to the a pdf (it doesn't have that option on the drop down menu. Same goes to the Save As option. I checked under my printer menu and i do have a acrobat printer option now but i do not understand the process to convert the file. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks again
Juice

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not sure about Acrobat 3.0, but the newer versions get installed as a print device. If you get the entire Adobe Acrobat package, you also get Acrobat Distiller which works well for larger drawings. DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

Is the Distiller listed as a plot device? I believe that you will need some type of postscript application in order for it to work. I have only had a problem with Win2K Pro, but if there is a conflict, I don't think it would install. At least the latest version didn't.

Simply plot to the Distiller device, specifying the page settings. Note that the location of the file is specified below the plot device. This is the default setting and I am not sure if you can change it from AutoCAD. It is buried pretty deep in the Adobe directory, so you will need to pay attention to where it will be placed. You will probably have to play with the page settings because it is not real intuitive. DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

There is a program called pdfMachine from The price is US$50 and there is an evaluation version that will also let you produce pdf files from any document including AutoCAD. Once installed it puts a Windows System Printer on your PC and if you choose this as a printer it will produce a pdf file for you. It works well. Ensure in AutoCAD's options > plotting, that you turn System Printers on, else you won't see the driver. You will need to also load Adobe Acrobat Reader (free) before running this.

Adobe Writer does the same thing and works the same way.
The output quality from pdfMachine is better however.

THERE IS A FREE DOWNLOADABLE, FULLY FUNCTIONAL PROGRAM CALLED FINEPRINT PDF FACTORY. YOU CAN CREATE AND VIEW PDF'S JUST LIKE IN ACROBAT..... BUT FOR FREE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back