Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting English to Metric (Sound like a "DURRR" question... maybe?) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingallspw

Mechanical
Mar 17, 2009
US
If this were Solidworks, all I would do is click Document Properties, "Metric" & OK

But NX doesn't want to make things that easy.

What is the best way to convert English Models over to metric without disassociating from every assembly we have and keeping all the relations intact?

Thanks,

Keegan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a utility included in the UGII folder of the NX install titled 'ug_convert_part.exe' which will covert the base units of a part file. You can learn more about this utility and the various options that can be set by opening the User Documentation and going to the 'Utilities and File Management' section and then opening the...

Command Line Utilities -> Convert Part File Units

...document.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hello all! I'm just getting back from Vacation and getting back in to the swing of it all so thank you for your replies!

Would any of you mind walking me through this?

I'm not a huge fan of command prompt anything since the last time I used command prompts regularly I was 10 years old on my Dad's Tandy 1000 with a whopping 256 KB of RAM that had the ever so popular MS-DOS system... meaning I may be a little slow.

Take care all!

Whoa sorry about that raysapp! Looks like a made "u-huh" out of "U" and "me".

I assumed the program operated on the same command prompt guide lines as the one included with UG so (I am sorry to say...) I didn't download or even try it.

Thanks for making my life easier!

OH Graphical User Interface
OH Graphical User Interface
How lovely are your visual cues and automated processes.

Keegan

Yeah the WIMP interface is easier!

But for those of us who have been on CAD longer than 12 years, we still know how to use the command prompt. I do have some procedures that are faster and give better results with a command prompt than using a window. DIR versus a WINDOW SEARCH is so much faster, it doesn't even compare when I want to find a file on the 1TB disk share.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Here is a file that shows the command prompt way to convert part units, introduces a batch file to help out, and finishes by integrating it into explorer so you can convert parts by right clicking on them.

The batch file in this example converts parts individually; if you need to convert an entire assembly or directory you will need to change the options.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2c72446d-1da8-4488-966c-197ae325fd72&file=NX_convert_part_units.pps
DIR verses DURRRR (Command Prompt Vs. GUI)

I support DURRRR!

I'll admit, I am the idiot that is helpless without a calculator and spell check! ;)

But I too have seen it where Windows (especially Windows Search 4.0) is the slowest search known to man. I still don't get that.

Thanks for the batch file Ben and thanks to all for your help!

NEW QUESTION TO AN OLD POST.

Does the ug_convert program convert drawings as well. Each time I run it, the application fails to convert the drawings.

Thanks!

Keegan

It depends on what you mean by 'convert the drawings'. Does the file fail to convert, or the results are just not what you expect?

Let's say that you have an inch file, ANSI C size sheet with inch dimensions added. When you convert the file to metric, it will now internally be a metric file, but the sheet size and dimensions you have added will remain in the inch format that you originally specified.

Unfortunately the file just fails to convert. Part files do fine but anything with drafting fails.

Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back