Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting Pro-E to Solidworks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulnKY

Mechanical
Feb 3, 2004
US
I have a client that has a medium sized assembly in Pro-E.
We are going to make an option for his product so tp speed up our development they have sent us thier assembly in IGES and Step formats. I couldn't open the STEP file and the IGES files is a collection of surfaces, no solids at all. Any thoughts? Are any formats better than others for this task?

This is my first time attempting this so I could also be overlooking a very basic step.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

At one time (2003!) SWx could open Pro/e files. What version of Pro/e are the files coming from WF2 or 2001? It has been my experience that STeP files come across cleaner. I translate from Pro/e 2001 to SWx 2003 frequently without any problems. It seems like the problem is with the STep creation inside of Pro/E picking surfaces verses solids.

Best Regards,

Heckler

Do you trust you intuition or go with the flow?

PaulnKY,

You said that you tried to imports STEP files and couldn't open them. I always use STEP or IGES file when I receive files from a client. When opening IGES files make sure your knitting setup is active so it can create a solid body.
In STEP mode make sure that your client as exported the STEP files with one of the following format: D203, D214, C214.
You can also try to open ProE files directly from Solidworks, I usually have problems loading the assembly but the part are opened with mo problems.

What version of Solidworks are you working on?

colombo, I am using SW 2005 sp1.0.

I have tried importing it several ways and it doesn't work. I think it's a combination of very little experience at both ends. and the assembly not exporting correctly.

PaulnKY,

Have you tried to open the *.prt.1 ProE files directly?
I know I always have problems opening an ProE assembly but the files are OK.

Try sending me an IGES,STEP and ProE file.

colombo75@hotmail.com

How about parasolids? I am facing this dilemma for the very first time. I need to make references off the imported ProE parts in a SW assembly so they need to come in at a manageable size.

I think it's cool that solidworks can export proE parts and asemblies but why proE cannot do the reverse is just absurd...

s

PaulnKY,

I use Pro/Engineer WF2.0 and SolidWorks 2005 everyday, and i import stuff from pro-e everyday, weither it's an assy or just a part.

Tools->Add-Ins-> {check Feture Works} and bring your parts and one by one SW will convert every entity created in WF to make it editable in SW. Hope that helps.

Printed Circuit Board Designer
Salt Lake City, Utah

No Substitute for american muscle !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back