Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting sketch to lines and arcs. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexfly

Automotive
Dec 27, 2009
US
Hi all. What is the easiest way to convert a sketch to un-parametrized lines and arcs? I have to be missing something. Right now, I'm copying the sketch curves to another layer and then deleting the sketch.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yeah. It seems like you should be able to kill the parameters of a sketch and it would then be just the lines and arcs.

An alternative method (though not necessarily easier/faster) would be to:
[ol 1]
[li]Use the extract geometry command, composite curve type, turn off the associative option, and for 'join curves' choose 'no'.[/li]
[li]Change the curve selection rule to "feature curves", select the sketch and press OK. You can delete the sketch now, assuming it has no child features.[/li]
[li]Use Edit -> Feature -> remove parameters and window select around the newly created curves that make up the composite curve feature. Press OK and you will be left with unparameterized curves.[/li]
[/ol]

I'm using NX 8.5, other versions will be similar.

www.nxjournaling.com

Future enhancement: allow delete parameters to be used on sketch? Right click on the sketch and wap the parameters just like on anything else...

Thanks for your input guys. I thought for sure I was missing a really easy way but apparently not.

I just 'Copy' the sketch curves to another Layer, then delete the Sketch, and if it's critical, I simply 'Move' the now 'dumb' curves back to the original Layer.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Yes, technically the destination Layer can be the same as the current Layer, which makes this approach easier yet.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Insert > Derived Curve >Simplify Curve > Select Maintain, Delete, Hide (at your preference) >Select the curves of the sketch.
You'll get lines and arcs.

MZ7DYJ

I have since a couple of versions back wondered how the intended way of creating drawing borders was.
( I see no point in having the border parametric, at last not in NX7.5.)
And since the development direction is to phase out the old basic curves we will , eventually, be forced to use Sketch.
I have used Export CGM + import CGM for the purpose.

Regards,
Tomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back