Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CONVERTING SOLID EDGE TO PDF 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUD3D

Mechanical
Oct 29, 2002
US
I'M LOOKING FOR HELP FINDING CONVERSION APPLICATION FOR SOLIDEDGE TO ADOBE PDF. FILE SO I CAN SEND TO CUSTOMERS WITHOUT CAD SOFTWARE TO OPEN AND VIEW.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need acrobat distiller. In SE draft environment go to your print command. In the name of printer pull down check to see if you already have it, if you don't you can go to Adobe's home page and they should have the destiller, its free.

BUD3D,

We use Adobe Distiller 4.0 here. The only issues we have had is with the Solid Edge symbology. Weld symbols are our biggest problems. Those errors are common to most translators.

DNA

If you are going to use Acrobat, you will have to embed the fonts. That is the only way to assure that all the sybology will be correct. Else those without SE fonts will not see the correct symbols. The Free SmartView is the best answer, but for initial customers, that is probably asking alot.

To make PDF files from Solid Edge (and many other programs) I uses a program called "Fineprint pdfFactory".
It is very cheap,from 40 - 100 $. You can find it on It works like a printer, you choose to print to this instead of your normal printer.

TPE

We found a free program (with Ads) that will take any file and convert it to PDF. If you plot your SE file to disk and have a viewer for the plot, just print to the free application and you have a PDF file.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

I tried PDF995 and it worked good but the pop up ads were annoying. I have not tried FreeDist. I downloaded and installed the freeware Mulps21PDF from this site which also has FreeDist Mulps21PDF worked very well for me. With it you can continue adding pages to your PDF file by clicking the "APPEND" button and when you have added all pages you Name it and click "Make PDF" and all the pages will be included into the one PDF file. You can also include image files, text document, or spreadsheet file into the same PDF file along with your Solid Edge files. It does all I want without any water marks or hidden text like some others.

Have you tried PDF995 ( Several people at the global summit were talking about using this to make odf files. It cost around $20.00US and does 99.5% of what Adobe Acrobat Distiller will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back