Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Converting SolidWorks to ProEngineer!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

becma27

Mechanical
May 20, 2002
US
I need to be able to convert from solidworks models to ProEngineer models and am looking for the best way to do this. What type of things do not convert well or are lost all together and are there certain approaches for designing the part to take into consideration that make the conversion easier. Any help would be much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We have had to do this in the past and STEP files work well for us. One of the drawbacks is the editable part is now a solid. It can be modified but not on a feature level. Eholmes

eholmes,

Yeah, that is exactly what we don't want, we need to still be able to modify once the part is in Pro/E or more importantly translate an assembly then play with it. Do you know anything about 3ga and their product 3g.web.decisions? It looks interesting but I can't find much info on it.

From what I've heard, the solidworks Pro/E export filter writes a file that is version 19 maybe earlier. With older versions of Pro/E the model tree came through in tact and almost perfect. Hope that sheds some light on the subject.

David

I am also looking for a converter/translator that could keep the history/features when it's in Pro-E format. No, Pro-E Wirefire does not recognize features/history even when SW saves its file as a Pro-E file as I have found out.

We receive files from many design programs (solidworks, unigraphics, catia, ...) and in most cases we have to repair surfaces. No one have exported a valid pro/e model from other program. The best results we have is importing in step and repariring surfaces.

Such program you want'd be great but I haven't found it.

I actually just tried elysium's translator, it seems to fix/repair geometry very well. The translator has a built-in healer to fix broken geometry and if the part is too complicated, they have CADDoctor to do the repair (like CADfix). But again, it does not have history/features that I'm truly looking for. They told me they will come out with a version that will translate history/features next year. Try and talk to Hans Fink. [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back