Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cooling load - Rule of thumb

Status
Not open for further replies.

newmind

Mechanical
Dec 1, 2008
At HVAC Equations, Data & Rule of thumb book:
Commercial Offices = 300 to 400 sq.ft./ ton , does it apply to all ambient condition , like Middle East region? I think no. Does anyone know other region factor?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

well depends on how middle the middle east is

Persian Gulf is only the most humid place in the world

If your ventilation air is included in those rules of thumb you could be in trouble you could be 100 Btu per CFM of fresh air

I am in a humid environment and 300 to 400 sqaure feet per ton would mean a sparsely populated office, like a person for every 300 to 400 square feet, so 1/4 to 1/3 the amount of office equipment you would expect, 1/4 to 1/3 the ventialtion load you would expect

Take the "V" out of HVAC and you are left with a HAC(k) job.

I would agree with what Abby said. Rules of thumb are only good if you have som eexperience to know when to not use them. See the post about heating and cooling loads software if you want an accurate load. Like Abby was saying, ventilation and people loading usually account for a good part of any cooling load, so get that figured out first.

Good luck.

Don't forget to consider the exterior envelope as well; the glass and wall performance will have a large impact on the tonnage as well. In Asia, they could be building things much differently than we do here.

Paul G.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back