Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cooling system fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junior33

Mechanical
Feb 19, 2007
CA
Perhaps this is a stupid question but I'm having difficulty and a quick search didn't resolve my problem.

Is there a way that I can fill a coolant passage in an assembly with a liquid, I'm looking to get accurate moments of inertia and weights for the assembly but the cooling water will have an effect on this and it isn't accounted for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depending upon how complex the shape of the volume to be filled, a couple of methods can be used.

If it is a simple shape, extruding solids using the Up to surface option with the inside surfaces may be one method.

Using the Cavity function on more complex shapes might be another.

[cheers]

If your cooling lines were generated with sweeps, you could re-use the path geometry to generate new sweeps for the cooling water.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Certified SolidWorks Professional

As was mentioned above, when you use your method to get the volumes established in solid form, make sure you de-select the Merge Bodies (I think it's called) option when creating the feature. This will allow you to track your fluid as a different body. If you have a different density for the fluid, you can assign a material to that body. (If SW doesn't allow you to assign differing materials to the same body in a part, you can use the Features > Save Bodies option to save each body as a separate part for this use.

Jeff Mowry
What did you dream? It's all right--we told you what to dream.
--Pink Floyd, Welcome to the Machine

thanks guys, i'll give some of these a try. I'd never used the mold design stuff, the cavity option sure looks good for the more complex shapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back