Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cooling Tower Blowdown Best Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullgear17

Mechanical
Nov 28, 2005
US
I am planning to relocate the cooling tower blowdown line of our existing system. I believe that the current installation is not the best industry practice in terms of design and operations as it is connected on top of the pipe instead of the bottom of the pipe. In addition to that, the blowdown is connected to the system chemical dosing line which makes it more inefficient as it tends to drain the treatment chemical during blowdown operation.

I am thinking to connect the blowdown to the condenser water return line near the tower basin. Is it the best solution.

thanks,
bullgear17

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well Bull

Looks like you do not need any advice, do you? you say "IT IS the best solution". Wonder why post anything as you appear as god and his prophet in your conclusion.

Your wording is weird, incomprehensible, connect blow-down to condenser water return? blow-down is to the sanitary Bull not to the condenser water return, the idea is to replace some water, not re-circulate the water.

Blowdown should be between the cooling tower outlet and the chemical treatment connection so you don't waste all your expensive chemicals before they have a chance to do their work.

You should also have a side stream filtration system to remove solids from the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back