Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cooling tower design

Salah 1

Chemical
Oct 27, 2024
Hi guys:
I was looking to find thermodynamic or aerodynamic section to put my threat in which is :
As i understand water cooling towers work on evaporation cooling principle, with the water temp drop depending on initial water temp and air initial temp and humidity or (wet bulb temp)!
now if my goal is to cool water down to as much as possible ,does any of the following seem practical:
Heating the upcoming air befor intering the tower
Reducing air humidity using baking soda or table salt or paper cellulose fiber befor intering the tower
The air in my area is at temp 23 at midday with humid about 18%,which gives me about 10 temp drop only..
Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi guys:
I was looking to find thermodynamic or aerodynamic section to put my threat in which is :
As i understand water cooling towers work on evaporation cooling principle, with the water temp drop depending on initial water temp and air initial temp and humidity or (wet bulb temp)!
now if my goal is to cool water down to as much as possible ,does any of the following seem practical:
1. Heating the upcoming air befor intering the tower
2. Reducing air humidity using baking soda or table salt or paper cellulose fiber befor intering the tower
3. The air in my area is at temp 23 at midday with humid about 18%,which gives me about 10 temp drop only..
Thank you.
The forum you're looking for is Heat Transfer & Thermodynamics engineering but refrain from double posting, although it's unclear whether you can delete your thread here and repost there.

In any case,
1. That's the opposite of what I think you want, which is to cool the water; making the air hotter reduces the temperature difference between the air and the water, which reduces the heat transfer
2. This is a continuous process, presumably, and you'd need truckloads of any of the stuff mentioned to do a dehumidification. While dehumidification is probably desirable, you're already at 18%, so it's not low hanging fruit.
3. Short of cooling the incoming air, the only viable measures would be more air flow and more surface area for the air to flow over. The heat transferred is a function of something like k * area * deltaT, where k is the heat transfer coefficient that is dependent on thermal conductivity, etc., but also dependent on the moving air mass over the heat exchanger.

Ultimately, you can think of what you have as an oversized swamp cooler.

Back