Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cooling Tower Set Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechathan

Mechanical
Aug 19, 2007
QA
Hi Guys, I am managing a building with 4 cabinet type induced draft cooling towers with a capacity of 100 tons each. The elevation/air space from the bottom of the cooling tower to the foundation is 4 ft and the distance from the tower to the wall is also 4 ft. Attach is a schematic drawing on how it was installed. Technically, turbulent air passes through from one direction only. My question is, can anybody check if the cooling tower 1 and 2 are starved with fresh air? If so, how can we induce fresh air with this limited space/set-up? We cannot bore holes to the wall since theother side of the wall are all confined spaces. Or will CT 1 & CT 2 work efficiently with this kind of set-up? Sorry if I had to use PPT as Autocadd is too expensive to buy. Thank you in advance for your advises.

Mechathan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Boy, thats the worst design I've ever seen. I'm sure you must be aware that induced draft cooling towers don't like any type of discharge restrictions. I would not run #3 tower when 1 and 2 are running and if more capacity is needed then run #4. #3 should be last resort

Yeah.. sure beats me... how about when we need to run all four? The building will be 100% occupied by January and We may not have a choice but to run all of it. Thanks for the idea.

Mechathan

You, atleast, took care of moist air recirculation. I would go with a clear space of atleast 1m for each cooling tower. CT1 is OK but I see a problem for CT2. If at all you want to provide ducted air intake, I would prefer it parallel to the the 3 cooling towers on both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back