Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cooling Tower 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dobit

Chemical
Sep 11, 2002
US
I need some input in running of a water cooling tower that is using RO water as feed. The conductivity of water in the tower is about 7000, pH 9-10 and hardness of about 45.

As of now, the tower efficiency is not that great and we're spending lot of money on cooling water treatment chemicals. The high TDS (after evaporation) is clogging the tower 'fill'.

Does anyone out there know of other options available in running a tower with RO water as feed.

Dobit

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

rbcoulter,
The feed to the cooling tower will be the reject water from Reverse Osmosis. Need your input.

Thanks

My recommendation is to RO the RO reject. Kinda makes no sense to do unless you have a large flow. It seems that everyone wants to reuse and recycle, but some streams are just not good for all processes and cooling is one of them. This stream will decrease the efficiency of your cooling towers, and if you can live with this, its ok. Most people need their cooling towers and they are overloaded most of the time to begin with, so making the problem worse by adding loadings to the make up water defeats the purpose in my opinion.

Good luck

BobPE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back