cooling water for insulation bitumen storage tank 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

somayehn

Petroleum
Aug 2, 2011
US
hi
i want to design a fixed roof storage tank for bitumen 60/70.
i have a problem about fire fighting. This tank is insulation and so Is it need cooling water for decress vapor pressure in fire time? what doing about it? foam ?cooling water? haydrant or sprinkler?what doing?please help me.
Thank You

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You do not want to add a water stream to hot bitumen, so a hydrant mounted monitor from a distance is not a good answer. Nearby hydrants on the roof may be helpful for fire fighting, but the only application of water should be by mist or fog.

For a large tank, a compatible foam could be effective. An oscillating foam induction monitor with fog capabilities could be helpful in fighting a fire where the bitumen got outside the tank.

If you are looking to protect the tank from a fire outside the tank (ie; an exposure protection system), a fixed spray water system on the tank exterior may be a solution. But only if it does not apply a water stream directly onto heated bitumen.

You do not want to add water to bitumen, so if there is a chance that a fixed spray system could cause water to mix with the bitumen, it is not recommended.

What is the process? Is this simply an insulated storage tank for heated bitumen? If you are heating the bitumen, is it heated within the tank or somewhere else?

If you are using bitumen inside the building below the tank, you may have a lot of other concerns. What is the chance of water coming through the roof and mixing with heated bitumen? Is the roof structure sufficent for the full tank and the added load of water or foam/water? Can the burning liquid run off the roof?

Your problem is complex and probably doesn't have any easy answers. You really need the help of an experienced professional. I would imagine that your insurance company (anywhere in the world) should be able to help. Get some good help, it will be worth it.

dear chillylulu and MJCronin
Thank you for your replies and link.
I studied APIPR2023"Guide For Storage And Handling of Heated Petroleum-Drived Ashphalt Products and Crude-oil Residua" and i have some khowledege about fire fighting for bitumen storage Thank.
In this project we have some bitumen storage tank that inculde coil hot oil for heating and loading and unloading area.
My important problem is this:Beacuse of insulated the tanks, when there is a fire outside the tank, is it necessary that using coiling water for prevent of heat up by radiation transfer from fire source.
Thanks for your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back