Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cooling Water Return Pressure of H/E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickchen007

Chemical
May 23, 2008
Most of engineer told me that the pressure of cooling water return pressure should not be too low (generally higher than 1BarG).I believe it is correct, but I don't know why, can anyone tell me.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In a broad sense, I can not think of any reason to purposely increase cooling water return pressure.
The impact would be to add restrictions and limit circulation flow.

I once work at a unit that experienced a tube rupture.
The cooling tower basis filled with Styrene.

Someone in the process business may have a practice to elevated return header pressures to direct fluid flow in event of tube failure.
But I have never heard of this practice.

Cant' think of any other reasons

If you are coming back to an evaporative cooling tower, you need enough head to get up the risers and to the flow distribution valves with enough back-pressure so that you can properly balance the flow across the top of the tower.

Regards,

SNORGY.

Besides getting back to the tower, you also want enough pressure so at the highest/hottest CW return point it doesn't boil, go 2 phase, and when it comes to a lower/colder point it water hammers. CW return risers have been known to run at a vacuum!

Good luck,
Latexman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back