Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Coordinates from curve created using NX 7.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEAEAEAE

Aerospace
Dec 16, 2011
US
I know it is very easy to create a data file filled with x,y,z coordinates and then import them into NX in order to create a spline, but is there anyway to do the reverse? Just to clarify...I have a spline that I have created using NX and now I would like to derive a certain number of coordinates from that spline so I could use them to graph that same spline in other programs. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me! ^___^

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you have a GRIP execute license you could try the attached GRIP program (Pts_to_txt-file.grx) which will take the points objects you select on the screen and write their X,Y,Z coordinates to a comma-delimited text file (read the comments in the .grs file for details about the program).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

This seems like it is exactly what I need, but I'm just having some trouble figuring out how to use it. The .grx file...I did some research online and it says to open it using GetRight? Could you offer some more details regarding the operation of this program. Thank you!

It's a GRIP executable, proprietary to Siemens PLM Software. To execute the program, go to...

File -> Execute -> Grip...

...and select the .grx file and hit OK. If you have a license to execute GRIP programs the next thing you will see is the Class Selection dialog asking you to select your points.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Brilliant! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much for helping me with the step by step procedure as well. Two thumbs up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back