Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Coplanar Problems with AutoCAD 14 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

crystalrae

Dec 13, 2000
US
I have been having a lot of problems with filleting objects on a drawing I'm working on. I draw a line and then I draw another one perpendicular to the first. When I try to use the fillet command on them I get the error message “Lines are non coplanar.” I have gone thru the help files with little luck. Usually I can figure stuff out but I can’t seem to get this one fixed. Is there a variable that will keep this from happening – I know that it is only certain drawings I have problems with. Any help that anyone can provide would be great!

Thanks so much :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure what the command is, but essentially you've enter two lines which are on different planes, i.e., the lines are defined also by the "z" coordinate (3-D). You can't see this because your view is 2-D only. I bet if you were to check isometric or similar view you would see the difference. To get rid of this check your input parameters to make sure z coordinate is zero.

That is exactly right. To fix the different z cordinates of each line look at the properties of each line and give them the same z cordinate on both ends (0 in a 2d world).

My 2 cents...

I find that this problem usually occurs when I am using osnap while drawing. Remember that osnap will snap to all three coordinates of the selected point. As a civil engineer, this usually happens to me when working with topographic files generated from flown aerials. All the entities in the drawing usually have seperate elevations, and using osnap results in linework that is not in the 2-D drawing plane, causing problems with commands like fillet, extend, and trim.

You can avoid this by using point filters with your osnap command, and specifying the z-coordinate that you are really after.

Try this... it works.
The problem is that you are working w/ a 3-D line. It often happens if you have set a "Z-cooridinate" point and have snapped to it, etc. To do your filleting first check the properties of your line. You will probably find a "Z-coordinate" of something other than 0. Change both sets of coordinate end points to have a "Z" value of 0. Then make sure the line you are trying to connect has a z-coord of 0 also. You should then be able to fillet.
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back