Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

copper sulfate 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

REGRUMBLE

Structural
Jan 28, 2003
CA
We are building a clad pressure vessel and the customer wants us to do a copper sulfate test where the clad surface has been removed for weld prep to check for clean base metal. Does anyone have a procedure or information on the procees to do this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

should have added

any stainless steel surfaces still bonded to carbon steel will not change colors.

what you will be looking for is areas that do not change colors

the test is to verify all stainless has been removed 3/8" to 3/4" away from the weld surfaces

after welding and clearing all carbon steel NDE, you will do a clad restoration weld (overlay) and do nde on the stainless welding

Thanks for the reply. This is exactly what I thought but what I want to know is what strength to mix the copper sulfate. I found it in 50 lb bags and was told to mix it with distilled water but I do not know the strength. If I mix it too strong will the residue do damage. I have also read that for some applications there is sufuric acid in the mix as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back