Copy an assembly with all the linked files. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

claudiodeviaje

Mechanical
Jun 19, 2005
DE
Hi there, me again... :)
Finally I'm done with my project! All the 3D Modells as well as the 2D are done... Now I want to Backup the files of the modell. The only problem is that in the directory where I created the models there are files fom older version that I dont need.

If I open the "property manager" or "links" (Eigenschaftsmanager or Verknupfungen, my SE is in german) I can see all the files that are linked to a certain assembly. I could write the name of every and each one of them and copy the files to a new directory, but that'll take ages!

Is there an easy way I can save an assembly and all the linked files to another directory without doing it one by one?

Thank you very much,
Claudio

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don Young has a program he might let you download that finds and places all un-used files in a sub-folder leaving just the currently linked files. I believe the program is called FindOrphans.exe.

Good Luck,

Jef

Or you could use revision manager. This has the functionality I think you need.

You could make copies of all the file actually being used and put them in a new 'clean folder'.

If you can't work out rev manager yourself post again and I'll try to give more detail if I have time.

Hi everyone.

Thank you very much for your help. The Program was really ewasy to use. The only problem is that some orphan assemblies were still left. But just 2 so I could delete them without big problem.

@Kenat, How do you do it with revision manager? It's not possible that such a feauture is not present in SE, right?

Thank you again!

Claudio

revision manager is one of the best things about SE. Look in the solid Edge folder in the start menu. It is also called View and markup.

Navigate to the folder containing the top level drawing. Right click on file and ‘open with revision manager’.

Expand all.

Select all.

Copy Document.

Set path.

Browse to folder you want clean copy in.

OK

Where Used.

Try to narrow the where used search to only folders you think contain the files, searching more folders than necessary slows it down a lot. Also under process options select only the types of files you’re interested in, typically only drafts and/or assemblies.

Next

Finish

Review the where used list, for any that say unchanged in the action column select and copy, remembering to set the path.

Perform Actions

You should now have copies of all the files in your desired folder.

I suggest you try this out on a very small set of files before going further. In fact I actually have created a small ‘trial’ folder area with some dummy SE files to play about on with Revision Manager and the like. I use it both for learning myself, proving procedures like the above and for training interns.

Hopefully the above is clear. Usually I use a lot of screen shots for things like this but can't remember how to post them.

I always do according to what Kenat said and when I'm done with the old folder I rename it with windows explorer to something like "Garbage" or something close, so that If I didn't copy a files correctly and it has been left behind the next time I open the assembly SE quickly tells me that something is wrong because the link is broken, then I can go back to my garbage folder and retreive what was missing.

Good luck

Patrick

Good point Pat, I know technically you're wasting space etc but I do similar. In fact I rarely delete stuff but put it in a 'junk' folder which if I remember I'll go back and first zip then delete after the projects been done a good while, or I'll burn it to CD/DVD so IT doesn't get upset.

I strongly recomend to anyone that does any file management, manipulation etc to look into using revision manager.

I've been using SE since 1999 but only really got to grips with revision manage in the last 2 years. Given some of the moving of files etc I've had to do in that time I'm not sure how I could have done it without rev manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back