Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy/Paste Break Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

roseda

Automotive
Oct 4, 2001
GB
I have a Main_Product that contains a Sub_Product that contains several Parts which are linked to other things in the Main_Product.

I would like to create another version of the Sub_Product within the Main Product that is not linked to the original Sub_Product.

I tried Copy+Paste+Break_Link and this created a new Sub-Product that was not linked to the original. However, all the Parts within the new Sub_Product were linked to the parts in the original Sub_Product.

Is there anyway to break the links of all the parts as well?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Only one at a time, as far as I know. You need to do the COPY/PASTE - BREAK LINK for each.

There is an alternative - If you own a PKT license, you can set up a Product Template which will allow you to do this.

If you want to create new components i.e. new part numbers do a new from on the sub-product and in
the list of parts do new from on each part then if there are any links still within these parts isolate the individual parts, doing a copy and paste will just create a new instance of the part, if this is what you want to do i.e. a new instance there is no way of breaking the link between the parts in the two sub-products as they are the
same part

Update:

The best solution seems to be:

a) Create a new Sub_ProductB under Main_Product
b) Select all the parts in the existing Sub_ProductA
c) Copy and Paste - Break Link into Sub_ProductB
d) Right Click on each of the pasted components and Define Contextual Links.
e) Update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back