Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copy sketch from one part to another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnis

Automotive
May 15, 2003
DE
Hello,
how can I copy a sketch from a part to another one? It would be perfect if I could also preserve the constraints...

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Open the two part documents in the viewport in order to see both of them. From the feature manager tree take and drag the sketch on some surface of the model of the second part.

Constraints will not be maintained unless you create a Library Feature of the sketch, but for a "one off" copy it's probably quicker and simpler to just re-create them.

[cheers]

I have a question about copy and pasting sketches and drawings entities. When you copy something, why doesn't it paste in the same origin as where you copied it from. It just randomly pastes it anywhere. Example, if you're copy drawing notes from a "B" size drawing to another "B" drawing, you always have to move the text back into place. Sketches has this same probles in parts. I remember some of the older CAD systems had this capability. Is there an option to do this?

Thanks

Colin Fitzpatrick (aka Macduff)
Mechanical Designer
Solidworks 2007 SP 5.0
Dell 490 XP Pro SP 2
Xeon CPU 3.00 GHz 3.00 GB of RAM
nVida Quadro FX 3450 512 MB
I'm just a little verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic. Pink Floyd, was neither Pink nor Floyd. Discuss!--“Coffee Talk” Mike Myers SNL

You can also convert the sketch to a block if you'd like to keep the constraints--and if you need to use the sketch in several places/parts. Create a prominent point to use as the insertion point and you won't even need any constraining dimensions when inserted for use.

Jeff Mowry
What did you dream? It's all right--we told you what to dream.
--Pink Floyd, Welcome to the Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back