Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

copy sketches in part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

shimoni

Chemical
Jul 10, 2002
IL
can someone tell me if there is a way to copy a skech or an extrude in part design other then using the miror option?
i like to copy a sketch to other place in the same part for cutting, but the new location doesn't fit to do it by miror.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I know that it's possible to copy a sketch. Too bad that only the sketch elements and some relations, but not the dimensions aren't copied.
The way to copy?
Just select the sketch you want to copy in the feature manager,then press <ctrl><c>. After this select a plane or a face you want the sketch to be copied to and select the &quot;sketch&quot;button. Now you press <ctrl><v>, and there it is: the copy of your sketch.
When inserting dimensions again, do this right away, and start with the element sizes, since all these are still the right size. After this, add the dimensions needed for the positioning of the sketch.

You can copy a sketch with all of its dimensions. Select the sketch you want to copy, CTRL-C to copy, select the new plane and paste (CTRL-V). Don't open a new sketch before you paste, and you'll get all the dimension and relations.

You can also copy a feature by CTRL+drag the feature to its new location (can be a different face, even a different part (must be opened, of course))

you're right, so if you want the dimensions, you don't open a new sketch and if you don't want the dimensions you open a new sketch before pasting,
Thanks, this is vital information for optimizing my method of working,
Aart

Well and good - but remember you may have to move and transform the sketch to be just where you want it. Often automatic relationships will stop you. Just edit the sketch and delete the relationships with outside references.

Crashj Johnson

If you want the copied sketch to be like the original, the best option is to use a derived sketch. Pick the sketch and the plane on which it is to be copied from the feature manager and use &quot;insert-derived sketch&quot;. The derived sketch will update as the original updates and you only need to apply 2 relations to completely define the sketch (fix the location and orientation). If you later decide that the sketch needs to change, right-click on the sketch in the feature manager and select &quot;underive&quot;.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back