Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Copying from MathCAD to Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

WARose

Structural
Mar 17, 2011
US
I am trying to copy from MathCAD 15 to Microsoft Word. No matter what type of paste I try (be it Source Formatting, Merge Formatting, or Picture)....something gets screwed up. Picture probably gets me the closest to what I want....but there is still something off.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is there a special format that you can use? I cannot do that with SMath... only a <Win><Shift><S> snapshot or print to a *.pdf file and embed or attach.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I could have sworn that you used to be able to insert MathCAD sheets as an object. But in whatever version of Word that we're using at the office, trying to insert a MathCAD sheet as an object only creates a link to the file that will open in MathCAD.

Maybe MathCAD15 files (.mcd) will still import correctly as an object.

Please note that is a "v" (as in Violin) not a "y".

Using MS Word from the current version of Office 365 and Mathcad Prime 5.0, I can copy a collection of objects in Mathcad and paste them into Word. The text copies over as a sort of text box, but it is not quite the same as a Word Text Box. Right-clicking on the box frame does not give me as many options as I get when I right-click on the Text Box frame. The equations come into Word as pictures and I appear to have all of the editing capability that Word provides for other pictures. When I tried to insert the Mathcad worksheet, I got an icon for the file, which was clickable to open the file, just as WinelandV described.

============
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

If I just want to insert a picture, table, equation, etc, I try two ways. First is to copy the Graph, table etc and paste into Paint. Then tidy up and copy/ paste into word. 2nd is to print the Mathcad file to pdf, then open the pdf, copy what is needed and paste into word.

I have been using Snagit 2018 to cut & paste for years - easiest insert into Word.
With Mathcad - compile your formula / equation & then activate Snagit / Select the area that gets loaded onto the clipboard.
I also have the Snagit editor open up immediately after the "copy" so i can "Fine-tune" the image / crop / place arrows / add circles / etc
- If i perform any change during the Snagit editor phase .. I just "copy" else i just close the editor.
- the i paste the image into word as an "image" ..
- I do not Link the image / nor import / nor attach / - just the basic paste. - not worth the effort to rectify when something fails. I keep a Mathcad file alongside the word document - so should i have to revise .. its a very simple case of cut & paste again.
.. too easy ..

Long-time users of Mathcad will vaguely remember being able to insert and link Mathcad sheets into MS Word and retain the ability to edit the copy in MS Word AND it would dynamically update through the rest of the Word document. Yes, other pages would update correspondingly without opening MC directly! The original MC file still had the values you started with. It was amazing. Ah, the 90's were great.

That ended in about 2003. MS Word got a top-to-bottom redesign to fit it better into Office (it used to be sold separately). I've never been able to work the two together ever since. This change broke many of my old Mathcad reports, which is why I remember these details.

My workflow with both MC and Smath is Snip/Snagit and insert as a plain graphic, as edmeister and SWComposites describe. In MS Word you can sharpen up the graphic a bit so that it doesn't look so blurry. Note that sharpening an image increases the size of the MS Word file so if you have dozens of Mathcad pages to insert as graphics you're already in the multi-megabyte territory.

It is a major pain. I tend to save Mathcad / Prime into a pdf file, split it into individual pages and ten import them into Word. This works okay for short documents, but is quite a hassle for long Mathcad worksheets.

Or convert the word document into a *.pdf and then combine the *.pdf files?

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I don't understand the problem. I used to write parts of magazine articles in Mathcad and then import them into Word.
In Mathcad 13 I could export worksheets in .rtf format. The rtf needs to be messaged at bit.
THe problem I had with this is that the pictures were of a fixed size and couldn't be easily expanded or contracted to fit in the magazine layout. This is anther reason I switched to python. I could generate .svg files that can be resized and still look good. However I then wrote almost all the text in word.

Peter Nachtwey
Delta Computer Systems
IFPS Hall of Fame Member

That ended in about 2003. MS Word got a top-to-bottom redesign to fit it better into Office (it used to be sold separately). I've never been able to work the two together ever since.

That, and the fact that Mathsoft never upgraded their OCX utility to match, because they were probably in the throes of trying to fix Mathcad 12, which was a major FUBAR.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

I use Libreoffice and, other than a couple of quirks, I find it pretty good.

-----*****-----

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back