Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COPYING PROE FILES WITH NOTEPAD DOESN'T WORK

Status
Not open for further replies.

t2b

Mechanical
Jan 8, 2007
GB
WE ARE LOOKING FOR A WAY TO RENUMBER DRAWINGS.
WE USE "DESIGN DATA MANAGER" AND A 12345-67890 NUMBERING SYSTEM WHERE 12345 IS THE WORKS ORDER NO. AND 67890 THE PART/ASSEMBLY DRAWINGS.
WHEN WE WANT TO REISSUE AN OLD ASSEMBLY WITH A NEW WORKS ORDER NO. ALL THE PARTS & DRAWINGS ARE RENUMBERED BY HAND - THIS TAKES A FEW DAYS (SO THE OLD DRAWINGS HAVE THE NEW WORKS ORDER NO.-SOMETIMES THERE ARE SLIGHT MODIFICATIONS).
WHAT SOFTWARE(TEXT EDITOR) CAN COPY PROE FILES (PARTS,DRAWINGS & ASSEMBLIES) - NOTEPAD DOESN'T WORK.
I THINK THE PLAN IS TO WRITE A PROGRAM TO RENUMER JOBS - USING VISUAL BASIC SO THEY CAN BE RELOADED BACK INTO "DESIGN DATA MANAGER"
ANY COMMENTS WELCOME!
CHEERS

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

And you want all components that are used in assemblies to be renumbered and still associated to their newly renumber parent?

You need to do the renumbering in Pro/E or use a data manager that has rename capability. PDMLink and Intralink can do it.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

YES- ALL SUB ASSEMBLY PARTS TO BE RENUMBERED AS THE ASSEMBLY UNDER THE NEW WORKS ORDER NO.
THE LATEST IDEA IS TO OPEN PROE FILES AS A "BINARY" FILE TYPES AND USE A VISUAL BASIC ROUTINE TO ALTER THE NUMBERS.
SAVING THE DRAWINGS WITHIN DDM AND MAINTAINING A LINK TO THE MODEL COULD BE A PROBLEM -WE THINK.
THANKS

AC

Stop using characters in part names that can, or will become variable. If you want to use a work order number on your parts, make that a parameter. Ben has the correct way to do this, use PDM/Link or Intralink. You are only setting yourself up for sure failure. Pro/E keys on file names at the assembly/drawing levels.

--
Fighter Pilot
Manufacturing Engineer

Yes, filename vs part number is a tough one to overcome. I have done it both ways but naming by part number always seems to break down and I end up with a hybrid solution.
I think I'd go with the parameter approach as mentioned by fighterpilot.

As for manipulating ProE files outside of ProE's GUI interface, I haven't had much success since about version 19 or something when they made it a binary file. There must be some checksum feature or something that causes any changes to disable the model. I haven't figured it out... yet. ;o)

But if you make any progress, please share.
<tg>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back