Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Copying TC Drawing to another part

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeagsman85

Mechanical
Mar 12, 2012
US
I have an assembly (1234 - Assembly A) with a drawing that I have set up in Teamcenter as a specification. I have another version of the same assembly (5678 - Assembly B) that I need to create a similar drawing for. Is there any way to take the drawing for Assembly A, copy it, and attach it to Assembly B?

I've tried to use 'Save As' but there doesn't seem to be a way to save it as a specification tied to another part. It will only allow me to save it as a stand alone part. I've also tried to export it and then import it but there are over 30 parts in each assembly and some of them are different so I'm not real sure if that's what I want to do.

The only two options that I can come up with are to save Assembly A and the drawing as Assembly B and then replace the parts that I need to change to recreate Assembly B as it stands now. The other option would be to create the drawing for Assembly B from scratch but that would be a hassle because I also have Assemblies C through J that I have do this for as well. Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the Drawing is a Master Model drawing (which I assume it is by way you describe it and since it's under the control of TC as that's the way it likes to work) you should be able to Open the Assembly A Drawing, do a 'Save-As' to give it a new name and then go into the Drawing file, open the Assembly Navigator, select the top-level assembly, press MB3 and do a 'Replace Component' and select Assembly B (at least that's the way I'd do it OUTSIDE of Teamcenter).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Have you tried File - Export - Part? There is an option to export the Drawing.

Best regards,

Michaël.

NX7.5.4.4 + TC Unified 8.3
Win 7 64 bit (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650 @2.67GHz)
24.0 GB
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 + NVIDIA Tesla C2050

It is a Master Model drawing. I would do it the way you described outside of Teamcenter but because of the way I have the drawing setup, it won't quite work that way inside of Teamcenter. Rather than having the drawing as a separate part with it's own TC number (i.e. 1234_DWG), it is a specification dataset within 1234. It does not appear that I can use "Save As" to save the drawing as a specification attached to 5678. I could only save it as 5678_DWG. Does that make sense?

As far as the export goes, I tried doing that but when I do, it also tries to export the 30+ components that are referenced within the drawing. I might be able to do it that way but I want to save that as a last resort.

At this point, I think my best option is to save 1234 - Assembly A as 5678 - Assembly B which will drag the drawing along with it and then replace the components that are unique to Assembly B. That way I will only have to recreate the assembly which is much easier than recreating the drawing.

Poke assembly B IR and copy to clipboard, then poke drawing dataset of assembly A then file-save as-poke paste button toward the bottom of window, change description if desired to assembly A or whatever-poke ok.

So I stumbled upon a setting that might work for me in the "Customer Defaults" but I think I'm missing something. If you open the "Customer Defaults" window, click on "Teamcenter Integration for NX" and then click on the "File New" tab, there is a "Allow Save As Different Item Type" checkbox. After selecting these and reloading NX, an "Item Type" drop-down menu shows up in the "Save Part File As" window but it's grayed out and cannot be selected. Anybody know how to activate that menu?

if you have the Teamcenter window available, you should be able to Select the Item revision without the drawing/specification , do file - new , ( can't remember the exact steps hereafter) then create a new ( but empty ) specification. I.e the specification will not yet carry a NX partfile.
Select the other item with the specification containing the drawing, select the drawing dataset under the itemrevision, RMB -Named references, select the ugpart then press Export and place on the desktop.
Rename the part on the desktop. ( to the other Itemnumber.)
Back to the dataset without the NX part, Named references - Import the copy from the desktop.
Then open the new copy in NX and replace the assembly to the proper one.
Save.

Regards,
Tomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back