Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Copyright symbol..

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBeitel

Mechanical
Apr 30, 2002
CA
Quick question...

Is placing a copyright symbol within a drawing titleblock common? I have seen it done a few times, but I do not feel that it is correct, and the confidentiality disclaimer suits this purpose.

Take care & have fun!

Kevin
"Hell, there are no rules here -- we're trying to accomplish something." - Thomas A. Edison

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We have the copyright symbol & the company name on one line then the year or years on the next line followed by the text:

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
CONFIDENTIAL AND PROPRIETARY.

That is all within a single block within the title block. I have never worked for a company that did not have some kind of copyright statement in the title block, some of them very wordy.

If you want to "stop" people from making copies of the drawing then go ahead.

If you want to "stop" people from making unauthorized physical things from the information on the drawing, or copying the concepts or ideas on the drawing then copyright is not the correct mechanism.

Only way to keep the drawing from being copied is to never send drawings outside of the company. People will do everything they can to copy something. I've seen customers send us competitor drawings without title block, with title block identifiers blacked out...etc.

The copyright notice technically protects the drawing itself. Copyright does not protect the design. Trade secret laws help protect businesses from those that would steal the information (obtain it via a means that is not approved by the owning company), but they only go so far as to protect a company from the first breech. Once the information is public, it's public. Patents are the only way to stop someone from copying the design itself. However, that doesn't stop Engineering companies from trying to put notices on drawings to declare that copying the content or design is not allowed.

Matt Lorono
Lorono's SolidWorks Resources & SolidWorks Legion

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/solidworks & http://twitter.com/fcsuper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back